Saturday, August 8, 2009

Podcasts I like.

Since you're waiting for us to get ours out... and truly, you are the most dedicated fans of a non-existent creative project I have ever seen... I thought I might recommend a few other shows to tide you over.

It's no secret that I'm an NPR-junkie. I can name ten reporters off the top of my head and tell you what region and beat they cover. I'm a member of my local public radio station, WBEZ, and I have the biodegradable corn-based mug with the logo to prove it. (And two messenger bags.)

While you really can't go wrong with a public radio show, here are a few of my favorites:

Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!
This American Life
Fresh Air
To the Best of Our Knowledge
Radiolab <-- stellar. One of my all-time favorites. If you listen to nothing else on this list, listen to this show.

Other shows that I listen to on a regular basis, and can definitely recommend:

The Savage Lovecast
I think everyone who likes to have sex, wants to have sex, or is having sex needs to listen to this show. It's not for the easily offended -- it's Dan Savage, after all. But I guarantee that you'll learn something in every episode.

The Moth
Quite possibly the best show out there - in my humble opinion. The Moth is a non-profit organization dedicated to storytelling. Folks (some famous, some not-so-famous) tell true stories, live and without notes. It's awesome... you need to check it out if you haven't already. I secretly dream of being on this show someday - but mostly I just love hearing stories.

The Biography Podcast

This is a relatively new podcast I just discovered, thanks to the magic of iTunes. The host, Chris Gondek, interviews biographers about their subject and the art of writing a biography. I've quite enjoyed learning about Lord Byron, Hunter S. Thompson, and Flannery O'Connor. If anything, you'll be a hit at cocktail parties.

Escape Pod
For you science fiction geeks out there, this podcast magazine features short stories by established authors. The stories and narrarators can be hit-or-miss, but when they're on, they're on. I really appreciated them featuring each Hugo Award nominee this year. I recommend you skip back a few shows and check them out.


Yes, I actually do keep up with all of these shows. I have a long commute to-and-from work, and I take several roadtrips a year. What can I say? Plus, I'm an auditory learner. This format really works for me.

I'm sure I'm even missing a show or two. In fact, I know I am. But this is enough to get you started - and will likely keep you busy until we actually have a podcast for you to put at the top of your own "Most Recommended" lists. Soon my friends... soon.

I'm also looking for recommendations to add to my list. What about you? What are you listening to?

6 comments:

  1. Jason turned me on to The Moth and I am now a big devotee. A couple of others that I really like:

    The Leviathan Chronicles: Near future Sci-Fi type stuff with incredibly high production values. Episodes are far between but each one is like a movie release.

    QN (formerly Quirky Nomads): Sounds like a side project for folks that do other podcasts. Updated three times a week with quick hitting episodes that revolve around a couplke different themes (i.e. "accent wars").

    The Adam Corolla Podcast: Crom help me, I don't want to like it but Corolla has some interesting things to say and the podcast format suits him well.

    Decoder Ring Theater: Old time radio-style dramas. Lots of fun.

    Sorry for the lack of links but either my browser is acting hinky or the comment box is preventing cut and paste. Suffice to say that Google can show you the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice try, getting us hooked on other podcasts so we won't notice that you haven't actually recorded episode one yet! But I'm wise to your cunning plan....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! Great suggestions. I'm adding them to my list. I neglected to mention Decoder Ring Theater in my post - but it's definitely one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of Faith by PRI

    Really good discussion of faith, tradition and philosophy from all around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I can't disagree with any of these recommendations. River has turned me onto Radiolab and The Moth, and they are both among my favorites. The other NPR stuff is also great, and of course Escape Pod is right up my alley. In addition to my "Me too!"s, here are some others I like:

    1. My favorite find is definitely Decoder Ring Theater. I'm not a huge fan of their most popular show, Tales of the Red Panda (though that's gotten better of late), but Black Jack Justice is just BRILLIANT. I haven't heard an episode of that one that I didn't like, and I'm eagerly looking forward to their next set. The best thing about DCR, in my opinion, is that they don't take themselves too seriously in terms of the stories they tell. Old time radio was cheesy and fun, and my sense is that they really embrace that idea.

    2. Along the same lines as Escape Pod, we have Pseudopod. Produced by the same company (Escape Artists) it's all horror, all the time. I am not a huge fan of horror in general, but in a short form it's a genre I like a fair bit. It often has that "Sitting around telling ghost stories feel," which I quite like. And the host's signature introduction line to each story is perfect: "I have a story for you, and I swear, it's true."

    3. A recent addition that I'm not yet entirely sure of is Icebox Radio. They've been around for a while but I just found them through a guest spot on Decoder Ring Theater during their Summer Showcase. They aired a really, really good story then, but the others I've checked out since then haven't done much for me. I'll give them a couple more weeks and see what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you like TBP.

    Chris Gondek
    The Biography Podcast

    ReplyDelete