Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Death Star and the creative process

Highlights of my script-writing adventures this week:
1. Getting to look up the 10 most awesome movie explosions. (They're not what you might think - although #1 was the Death Star. I totally called that one.)

2. Getting to use a "What's your motorcycle gang member name?" generator to come up with a character name. I'm not sure if I'm glad that "Strangle Face" was the best one of the bunch - but whatever. I haven't been to Sturgis lately, so I'm not up on the lingo.

3. Learning that writing an action sequence with nothing but dialogue and sound effects is a heck of a lot harder than I thought. But fun. Totally fun. I almost wish we recorded the first read-through. We do this to time the episode more than anything else -- but there are 5 characters in the scene and only 2 of us, so hearing us bounce back and forth between characters can be pretty funny. And totally embarrassing... so maybe I should take back the whole "let's record this" thing.

Jason and I had a great writing meeting this afternoon, and both of us agreed that the podcast is regaining some of its original momentum. I think we've found a pattern that really works for us. We trade off bringing either a Really Good Idea or the script from the last meeting's Really Good Idea. This week it was my turn to write the script, and Jason's turn to bring the Really Good Idea. Mission accomplished. Now it's on Jason to flesh out the next script, and I get to relax and imagine for a while. It's a good trade.

Meanwhile, while he's busy writing dialogue -- I'd like to announce our first "Reader Question Wednesday" - wherein we answer questions that you either leave in the comments or e-mail us. There are already a couple of them floating around to get us started -- but if you have a question other than "When is the podcast coming out?" (Answer: We don't know. Soon. Quit asking.) then please, send it on in. We'd love to hear from you!

4 comments:

  1. 1) So, are you two writing in coffee shops? (I'm at least assuming you're not recording there, though that could be HILARIOUS, frankly.) Or over reubens?

    2) Did Jason ever bring his two good ideas last week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3) Is there going to be some kind of casting call for your loyal followers to participate in the podcast when it gets around to recording time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4) If a sandwich consists of turkey, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and brown mustard can it still legitimately be called a reuben? If not, how narrow is the definition of a reuben? Is it the thousand island dressing? The corned beef? The Rye?

    I am very confused by these things

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) Who's the better lover, Batman or Superman?
    2) Why?

    Saying "Neither, the Green Lantern is the best", does not count, even if it's true.

    ReplyDelete